Wednesday, June 26, 2013

iPad Apps for Teachers: Cloud Storage

As I said in my last post, I was asked to recommend some iPad apps for teachers. Here is part two of six: Cloud storage.

Cloud Storage


clouds by Extra Medium
clouds, a photo by Extra Medium on Flickr.
Dropbox
Dropbox is supported by many other iPad apps, so it is almost an essential way to move files between devices. Click on the share button on an app and Dropbox will probably be offered as one of the options.

Google Drive:
This app is a bit clunky but is useful if people already make use of Google Drive.

WebDAV:
Allows you to connect to and synchronise with network drives. It worked well in my previous workplace and was the preferred way of storing documents because you could sync with network copies of documents thereby minimising the risk of ending up with multiple, slightly different, versions of the same thing. I could also use WebDAV to mount drives on my home computer, so this was an easy way to transfer stuff between my home computer and my iPad.

iRDP:
If your school doesn’t have WebDAV support (see above) this Remote Desktop client for the iPad  may provide a (slightly awkward) way to access school network drives.



What other storage and transfer tools would you recommend? And, what is the best way to share documents with pupils, parents or fellow teachers?

2 comments:

Ruby said...

Cool choices, all. Personally, I prefer Dropbox. I've used it; it's good for keeping raw editing files. The point in all this, I guess, is that digital preservation is here to stay.

WilliamsDataManagement.com

Unknown said...

CloudFuze is the ultimate app to manage multiple cloud storage services over multiple devices.With CloudFuze you can sync multiple accounts of Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, SugarSync and FTP at one point and access Over IOS mobile devices.

http://www.cloudfuze.com/