Saturday, August 12, 2006

Too smart for my own good

I boasted at the end of It's deja-vu all over again that I'd managed to get Technorati to recognise a new tag I'd added to an old post by changing the posting date. After achieving this I returned the posts to their original date because the URL of a post in Blogger is related to its posting date. If anything referred to the old posts, they'd have to be found at the old date or the link would be broken.

Does anyone see the obvious problem here? I was walking the dogs when it hit me. Technarati has now indexed the old posts... but it has indexed them at the new date not the old one. Doh!

The only way around this that I can see is to duplicate the old posts at the new date. The moral of the story is: Don't try to add new tags to old posts!

P.S. I am not feeling 100% at the moment and on reading over yesterday's post I said much less than I meant to on the subject of control. I fear I went into a bit of a ramble. (Which reflects the current state of my brain - sorry.)


Technorati Tags: , ,

Powered by performancing firefox

2 comments:

Duncan__ said...

Couldn't you re-date them again, so that they'd be back in order? Or am I just being silly?

David said...

Good grief! Some people are never happy. :-)