Thursday, February 22, 2007

Renfrewshire ICT Showcase: Further reflection

I said already how much I enjoyed the recent ICT event in Renfrewshire. One of the things I enjoyed was doing the presentation with Ewan. I think this is the third time we've done a joint thing like this. In theory, I have done co-operative teaching before but often in practice, when I've done it before, one person was the teacher and the other person was along for the ride. However with Ewan, it felt like genuine co-operation. We worked out what we wanted to do together. We both knew each others strengths. We divided up the things we were going to talk about and we delivered it together.

Ewan creates a podcast
Ewan creates a podcast,
originally uploaded by DavidDMuir
On my own I tend to ramble and repeat myself. When I start talking I will often repeat myself and run off down sidetracks. I know that I repeat myself and ramble on and on but don't seem to be able to help myself. However, working together, Ewan kept me more or less on track. :-) I like Ewan's focus. I like the way he frames things and puts them in a context - like the comparison of the number of people that can see children's work he did at the start of the presentation. He's a clever bloke.

What did I learn from the event? I think I knew this already, but as I prepared for the night, and as we delivered it, the links between new web technologies and A Curriculum for Excellence (ACfE) became ever more clear. I said on the evening that the technologies we were showing were not additions that would take more of our precious time but they allowed us to do stuff we were doing already more effectively. I think I'd go further than that though - I don't think we can deliver on ACfE without using the kind of new technologies we were demonstrating.

What do you think?


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

powered by performancing firefox

1 comment:

Ewan McIntosh said...

For me, when you started, off the cuff, letting people know why they were there (because all of this *is* ACfE) I felt there needed to be some Also Sprach Zarathustra in the background, or something Space Odyssey-ish. It fit the bill perfectly.

It's great for me, too, to work with someone who I know I can trust to get it right. Happily, though, I'm finding myself more and more in the company of those who are able to do that. If only we could get more of this kind of thing going on in classrooms between teachers who get on with each other.

Cheers, mate!