Friday, August 22, 2008

Virtual Book Club

I haven't fully thought this out but I think it is good enough to share for comment.


Five Shelves
Originally uploaded by splorp
Ewan McIntosh sent an email around a few people saying that he was thinking about "...a TeachMeet bookclub, just to share links about books as much as reading them." It is probably best to let Ewan say what he meant himself when he is ready, but he seems to be thinking of a shared reading list (like his del.icio.us book links). However, I thought, why not run it like a virtual book club. Someone posts a book they think we should read and then at an agreed date, once people have a chance to have read it, we all head to the original poster's blog (or wiki or whatever) and discuss the book. I've never been in a book club (virtual or otherwise) but it might be interesting.

I did some research at the BBCs Bookclub. It suggests we need about eight people and that we should allow about a month to let people read the book before meeting to discuss it. So my idea is that I choose a book, announce it here and people leave a comment agreeing to read it. In about a months time, I'll post a discussion starter here and we can ... er... discuss! Then, we choose someone else (by an as yet undecided method) and they will post the next book choice on their blog and we move the club to their blog. The only other suggestion is that the Edublogs Book Club should read suitably edublog-ish books. (I hope I haven't just stolen Ewan's idea.)

So what do you think? Anyone up for it?

As the first book to be read by the Edublogs Book Club, can I suggest Homo Zappiens: Growing Up in a Digital Age by Wim Veen and Ben Vrakking? I bought it just before the summer holidays but haven't got around to reading it yet. The blurb says, "Homo Zappiens examines how children growing up in a world of technology and change show more reluctance to fit within the education system than any generation before them. Furthermore, they frequently have a better grasp of technology than those who educate them..." I thought it sounded interesting.

So, anyone want to join me in the Edublogs Book Club?

**Update**: In a comment, Ewan has suggested that, since Charles Leadbeater is coming to the Scottish Learning Fesival this year, perhaps we should start with We Think: The Power of Mass Creativity. I don't have a problem with that. If the next person to joins agrees, or Jonsieboy gets back to say he's happy too, we could switch to Charles' book and discuss it just before SLF. Oh... and thank you to Chris and Ruby who responded too.

P.S. Whether or not you can take part, it would be great if you could spread the word about the idea through your own networks to see if we can attract in another couple of readers.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

12 comments:

Christine McIntosh said...

Fun idea, guys - but I'll stick to fiction! (You wouldn't really expect otherwise, would you? Unless ... some Jack Spong?) ;-)

Seriously, you'll find my own version of this kind of thing here - more random, but there you are!

Anonymous said...

I think you may have stolen Ewan's idea, but I'm sure he seems to have so many I'm sure he won't miss one ;-)

Count me in!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'm sure apparently! Haven't had my coffe yet this morning obviously!

David said...

Hello Chris

Thanks for responding... and thank you for the link. Even if no one else joins in, I'll post a review anyway.

And talking of others joining in...


Hello Jonesieboy

Welcome aboard. I was feeling a bit lonely. Give it a plug on your blog too and we'll see if we can get more takers.


And finlly...

Sorry Ewan. :-(

Ewan McIntosh said...

Don't be sorry - glad that it might have wings :-) I've got to get through We Think, though, before SLF Maybe that's the book we should think of starting with, in fact, since Charlie's going to be around for the whole fest?

Anonymous said...

great idea! I'd love to take part, but at the moment I have a pile of summer reading that didn't quite happen (the summer, that is ...) so I'm not sure that I'd be able to commit myself right now. However, I'll be interested to see the results of this grand experiment :-)

Anonymous said...

PS should have added that I've got a book/reading blog that seems to have died off a little recently ... but now I might just revive it!
http://edbookclub.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I saw your tweet and thought that it sounded like a good idea. I'd be interested to take part. I'm a web developer and I'm always keen to find out more about the impact of technology on society and reading a ton of books would be a good place to do that!

Cheers,
Robert

Joe Wilson said...

I've been using Shelfari from time to time - it has just been bought over by Amazon.

If I don't have time to read something I'll put out a tweet or blog for help - having exhausted by close contacts

islayian said...

Hi David
I am interested in this group.
Ian

N Winton said...

Me too...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm interested too. Looking forward to contributing...