Friday, April 30, 2010

Fun on Friday #69: Crowd Sourced Movies

Last week, I posted a link to some animated movies. However, as was pointed out by Chris in her comment, creating stop-motion animation is a very time consuming process. I quoted in my reply the chap who did the Michael Jackson video who said his five minute animation took him "About 2 1/2 weeks, 4 or 5 hours a day." That's a lot of time to invest in producing a five minute video! Can you imagine producing a feature length movie?

Perhaps the solution is to crowdsource the whole thing. ...And that's what Star Wars Uncut has done. They took Star Wars: A New Hope (which despite George Lucas' best efforts, I still think of as the first Star Wars movie) and split it up into 500 clips, each 15 seconds long. People were then invited to recreate up to three 15 second clips.

To give you an idea of what people did, here are two of my favourites:


Star Wars Uncut - Scene 302 from Doug Vander Hoek on Vimeo.

Other favourites include Scene 7 (Lego animation and a fantastic explosion), Scene 8 (a brilliant interpretation involving Ninja Turtles as the Rebel Forces) and Scene 349 (a cartoon with a surprise cameo appearance at the end).

My only problem is, I can't decide if this is crazy, or a work of genius. What do you think? And, what's your favourite scene?

No comments: